Birth injuries can occur during pregnancy, labor, delivery, or shortly after birth. The common factor is the unfortunate harm to an infant. Some birth injuries are unavoidable, and some may be minor conditions that resolve by themselves within a short time. But all too often, birth injuries are caused by medical error – and the consequences can be heartbreaking.
We trust medical staff to take proper steps to protect the health of a mother and child. However, when doctors and nurses fail to meet accepted standards of medical care, birth injuries can result. Some of the medical errors that can cause a birth injury include:
- Failure to properly monitor a woman's condition during pregnancy
- Failure to diagnose and/or treat premature rupture of the membranes
- Failure to refer a woman with high-risk pregnancy symptoms to an obstetrician specializing in high-risk pregnancies
- Delay in ordering cesarean section when medically necessary
- Reading or analyzing prenatal tests incorrectly
- Failure to note and respond to changes in the fetus during labor or delivery
- Failure to anticipate birth complications with a larger baby
- Failure to monitor and treat maternal health complications
- Failure to respond appropriately to bleeding
- Failure to observe or respond to umbilical cord entrapment
- Failure to respond to fetal distress (including irregularities in the fetal heartbeat)
- Failure to diagnose and/or treat infection
- Improper/excessive use of vacuum extraction or forceps during delivery
- Failure to timely diagnose and/or treat placenta previa or placental abruption
- Performing a traumatic delivery
- Failure to act upon signs of oxygen deprivation in the fetus
Birth injury litigation can be complex. Proving what caused an injury is not easy, and medical personnel may be quick to assign blame elsewhere or argue that the injury was unavoidable. Parents are often overwhelmed with difficult decisions and are too busy handling their new baby's injury to deal with complicated legal issues.
The three independent law firms that form our law group, Attorneys for the Injured, have been helping families affected by birth injuries for several decades. We remain committed to protecting the rights of children and their parents. Because we believe so strongly that negligent medical providers must be held accountable, we will investigate the condition of any child whose parents suspect a preventable birth injury – for free.
Our firms work with a board-certified physician who will review your child's injuries, determine the cause and provide an in-depth assessment of long term treatment options.
If after a review of all the medical records we find a strong case for medical malpractice, we prepare the most effective case against the health care providers responsible for your child's injuries. We know how to handle insurance companies who attempt to offer insufficient damages or try to obtain releases from overwhelmed parents. We will make every effort that negligent or careless providers are held accountable – and that your child receives the financial compensation needed to provide quality care.
The mission of our law group, Attorneys for the Injured, is to seek justice and fair compensation for injured victims and their families. The combined strength of our locations in Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Maryland and Frederick, Maryland allows us to provide the level of service you expect from a large metropolitan office – with the dedicated and personalized approach of a boutique firm.
If your child suffered from a birth injury, contact us today, or call us at (888) 792-4242 for a free review of your case.